Still musing and putting all the thought down for the Spitfire thingy pondering. Honestly, like Blessing of Kings said, there’s many issues in the one post, so … maybe many posts…
This is a draft / sketch, if you will. Unfinished. Only 30 max of you read this anyway, so who cares.
I was thinking about the roles and stresses each role has and what I, as a DPS, do for others and want back from them. It’s similar to WowWiki’s PvE class articles, but here’s what I’ve picked up as a lock in dungeons & raids. Purple means your warlock can do this for you; green is what you can do for your warlock; half-n-half is win-win for both.
Vigilance | AoE threat for trash mobs | Healthstones | Banish | Fear | Summoning | Felpuppy Spell Lock on caster mobs | Drain-tanking | Marking targets | Not dancing if I cast Rain of Fire | Watching my threat | Watching for patrols you might not see | Letting me know when you need another HS | Running to you when I aggro something |
SPECIAL NOTES: If adds come from a certain direction, put the tank between me & the adds. E.g. hug the tank in BK-P2 or stand across from the doorway, not on the table, at Prince K in UK. // Put CoE on a boss when the tank pulls to get Omen to register, but don’t start DPSing. // Thank for good tanking at the end.
Healthstones | Soulstones | HoTs when I’m nearing OoM | Not Life Tapping to Death | Life Tapping during the HoT, not after | Staying out of abnormal air or floor distributions | Healing my pet | Using the SS when I cast it on you | Not dying next to a mob when you have an SS on you | Using my felpuppy to dispel that spell-reflected Corruption off myself |
SPECIAL NOTES: Thank healers for healing my minion. I know I appreciate it on my druid when hunters thank me. // Thank everybody who buffs my minion. // Offer a refill for anybody on HS after wipes. // Drain-tank or direct my damage to a mob gnawing on a healer. // If I have mage biscuits from another group, offer some.
CoE for casters | Not MD/ToT to me | Not having the same demon as me | Offering to trade off HS or Summoning |
SPECIAL NOTES: Offer extra mage biscuits to other mana classes. // If a destro warlock is in group, switch to felpuppy. // If another afflic lock in group, offer to switch to imp.
Buff Specials (since classes cross roles)
Buffing my pet | Wisdom on the Imp / Felpuppy | Might on the Felguard | Fortitude | Blood Pact | Divine Spirit | Fel Intelligence | Intellect | Gift/Mark of the Wild | Kings > Wis > Sanc | Wrath / Flametongue Totems | Demonic Pact (if demo) | Moonkin Aura | Replenishment (if destro)
Why Your Warlock Is Cursing You (/groan)
Unfortunately, all of these are true stories. Please don’t be the story I have to add to the list.
- Sheep/shackle the mob I have 3 DoTs on already and then yell at ME about it. L2SeeTargetDebuffs.
- Continue to pull trash before Patchwerk in Naxx when all the casters (including the healers) just jumped through the health & mana-draining slime. Yeah, it drains mana, too. It sucks.
- Tell me to SS someone when it’s on CD. Especially after someone used it last wipe. Especially especially when I told you it’s on CD when you asked 30s ago. I give you a blank stare of disbelief irl if you ask me this while I’m dead. (my druid says replace ‘SS’ with ‘B-Rez’)
- Ask me for a mage table. Seriously, it’s happened.
- Ask me to sheep something. Yep, this one, too.
- Tanks: say you got it, then force me to Soulshatter after I pull off you before my second round of DoTs expires on a boss without a phase change/threat-reset ability.
- Yell at the healer for not being healed enough, but then say you still have your HS when I offer more.
Regarding soulstones: Be intelligent with your SS usage. You will never be soulstoned by me again if any of the following facepalming acts is committed.
- You have the SS and are alive when it becomes obvious this is a wipe, yet you decide the boss wants a hug in his pull radius rather than running away to a safe rez spot.
- You have the SS, can use it without pulling anything, and you release. Bonus /headdesk: you say you were saving it for later.
- You are the shaman with the SS and you use reincarnate instead. Bonus /headdesk: you bitch about the expense of Ankhs afterwards. L2Glyph.
- You ask me to soulstone you because you can’t find / aren’t going to bother trying to find Icecrown Citadel from the graveyard. For the 3D navigation impaired: Find ICC, look up & to the right, find the Argent Crusade banners, fly up to the level of the top of the banners, on that level, go in the door on the left (WG is to your right). Corollary: I understand if it’s Gundrak, but I still probably won’t comply.
- You die within 5 seconds of using the SS (on my druid, replace ‘SS’ with ‘B-Rez’).
- You stand in The Bad and you/the raid/the RL tell me to SS you because you keep dying but your damage/tanking/healing is just so fucking awesome. L2NotPissOffYourHealer. Corollary: Lag used as a reason for dying will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Regarding portals that need clicking: Please fucking click it. It’s always TWO other people. Unless it’s a Doomguard, then it’s FOUR. I click yours, you click mine, mkay? Don’t move until the Warlock TV comes out of the floor or the Soulwell falls from the sky. Moving cancels the casting and it’s just annoying to have to cast it again because you can’t be bothered to sit still for five seconds. As a rule, I’ve found that placing the healthstone portal in the face of a tank and/or rogue results in a faster click+click+summon. Also, I will find a crowd of toons to sit the summoning portal on. Granted, the LFG teleporter makes most of the summoning stories obsolete now. But if you would like to piss off your warlock, feel free to
- Invite me to a dungeon party, then ask me to summon you to an instance when you are originating from the same spot as me or closer.
- Be in Dalaran, ask me to summon you to an instance, and when I agree, you port to Ironforge and say your hearthstone is down (whether it is or not, that’s just rude).
- Leave the raid without telling anyone or asking for a summon back and then expecting me to do it anyway.
- Not be in my dungeon party/raid but ask me to grab two buddies and summon you & your friends to [place]. Not even tipping me will make me a mage. You get automatically ignored if you ask me to summon you to a place which is closer to you than it is to me. Yeah, I /who random people whispering me.
- Repeatedly ask for a HS but don’t click the portal.
- Repeatedly ask for a HS but keep canceling the trade window by moving.
- Refuse to click my portal after I clicked your mage table one.
- Ask for a summon and then go AFK for 2min as we try to summon you.
- Go outside to the instance portal and summon people whom I’ve already summoned inside the dungeon/raid.
- Be silent when the call for summons goes out, but everybody then decides to ask for their personal summon in intervals of 2min 1s. FFS PEOPLE.
- You fall off Gluth’s pipe but whine that I’ve put the stone on the pipe and not on Grobbulus’s platform. L2Walk or shut up and take the summon.