(nnnnnngggg Multishot fudged the screenshot. >.>)
Yeah, it’s kinda weird that I have more druids than I do warlocks, but maybe that’s an indication of how much I love affliction how it is.
Also, the new warlock beta talents look way better than they were! Some new abilities in there, though I’m sad that Dark Pact is gone from talents (maybe in abilities??? please???).
But I have plans.
Next Toon to 80
I’ve figured out that I love casters. I don’t know why, but I figure if I really do love casters, I ought to have one of each of the DPS and maybe some of all the healers. Out of DPS I’m missing a mage and a spriest, and out of healers I’m missing the priests and a pally. I figure I can level priests like I did for druids — two of them — and either have a heal/dps x2 or a pure heals & dps/whatever. Mages…
I’ve tried mages. Really, I have. I can’t get past about level 14 or so because they go oom just staring at mobs. Which is totally ANNOYING when you’re questing. Like, not even the orange quests. And priests, they go oom too, but I had luck on the belf priest by dungeoning & healing.
I think a priest is next.
Yes, I know Cataclysm is “coming,” but it won’t be here for a few months, and I can definitely level something in that time.
Uhhh, my categories and tags, that is. So if stuff moves (not that feedreader people can tell), don’t worry, it’ll get settled at some point. I don’t know if this is my occasional UI twitch at work or if I’m doing some weird nesting gig in order to get ready for Cataclysm guide posting.
Because, y’know, everything’s changing, so I can actually do a leveling guide or a talents guide or something dealing with warlockery advice without repeating what the rest of the blogosphere has been saying for 3 expansions.
Still musing and putting all the thought down for the Spitfire thingy pondering. Honestly, like Blessing of Kings said, there’s many issues in the one post, so … maybe many posts…
This is a draft / sketch, if you will. Unfinished. Only 30 max of you read this anyway, so who cares.
I was thinking about the roles and stresses each role has and what I, as a DPS, do for others and want back from them. It’s similar to WowWiki’s PvE class articles, but here’s what I’ve picked up as a lock in dungeons & raids. Purple means your warlock can do this for you; green is what you can do for your warlock; half-n-half is win-win for both.
Vigilance | AoE threat for trash mobs | Healthstones | Banish | Fear | Summoning | Felpuppy Spell Lock on caster mobs | Drain-tanking | Marking targets | Not dancing if I cast Rain of Fire | Watching my threat | Watching for patrols you might not see | Letting me know when you need another HS | Running to you when I aggro something |
SPECIAL NOTES: If adds come from a certain direction, put the tank between me & the adds. E.g. hug the tank in BK-P2 or stand across from the doorway, not on the table, at Prince K in UK. // Put CoE on a boss when the tank pulls to get Omen to register, but don’t start DPSing. // Thank for good tanking at the end.
Healthstones | Soulstones | HoTs when I’m nearing OoM | Not Life Tapping to Death | Life Tapping during the HoT, not after | Staying out of abnormal air or floor distributions | Healing my pet | Using the SS when I cast it on you | Not dying next to a mob when you have an SS on you | Using my felpuppy to dispel that spell-reflected Corruption off myself |
SPECIAL NOTES: Thank healers for healing my minion. I know I appreciate it on my druid when hunters thank me. // Thank everybody who buffs my minion. // Offer a refill for anybody on HS after wipes. // Drain-tank or direct my damage to a mob gnawing on a healer. // If I have mage biscuits from another group, offer some.
CoE for casters | Not MD/ToT to me | Not having the same demon as me | Offering to trade off HS or Summoning |
SPECIAL NOTES: Offer extra mage biscuits to other mana classes. // If a destro warlock is in group, switch to felpuppy. // If another afflic lock in group, offer to switch to imp.
Buff Specials (since classes cross roles)
Buffing my pet | Wisdom on the Imp / Felpuppy | Might on the Felguard | Fortitude | Blood Pact | Divine Spirit | Fel Intelligence | Intellect | Gift/Mark of the Wild | Kings > Wis > Sanc | Wrath / Flametongue Totems | Demonic Pact (if demo) | Moonkin Aura | Replenishment (if destro)
Why Your Warlock Is Cursing You (/groan)
Unfortunately, all of these are true stories. Please don’t be the story I have to add to the list.
- Sheep/shackle the mob I have 3 DoTs on already and then yell at ME about it. L2SeeTargetDebuffs.
- Continue to pull trash before Patchwerk in Naxx when all the casters (including the healers) just jumped through the health & mana-draining slime. Yeah, it drains mana, too. It sucks.
- Tell me to SS someone when it’s on CD. Especially after someone used it last wipe. Especially especially when I told you it’s on CD when you asked 30s ago. I give you a blank stare of disbelief irl if you ask me this while I’m dead. (my druid says replace ‘SS’ with ‘B-Rez’)
- Ask me for a mage table. Seriously, it’s happened.
- Ask me to sheep something. Yep, this one, too.
- Tanks: say you got it, then force me to Soulshatter after I pull off you before my second round of DoTs expires on a boss without a phase change/threat-reset ability.
- Yell at the healer for not being healed enough, but then say you still have your HS when I offer more.
Regarding soulstones: Be intelligent with your SS usage. You will never be soulstoned by me again if any of the following facepalming acts is committed.
- You have the SS and are alive when it becomes obvious this is a wipe, yet you decide the boss wants a hug in his pull radius rather than running away to a safe rez spot.
- You have the SS, can use it without pulling anything, and you release. Bonus /headdesk: you say you were saving it for later.
- You are the shaman with the SS and you use reincarnate instead. Bonus /headdesk: you bitch about the expense of Ankhs afterwards. L2Glyph.
- You ask me to soulstone you because you can’t find / aren’t going to bother trying to find Icecrown Citadel from the graveyard. For the 3D navigation impaired: Find ICC, look up & to the right, find the Argent Crusade banners, fly up to the level of the top of the banners, on that level, go in the door on the left (WG is to your right). Corollary: I understand if it’s Gundrak, but I still probably won’t comply.
- You die within 5 seconds of using the SS (on my druid, replace ‘SS’ with ‘B-Rez’).
- You stand in The Bad and you/the raid/the RL tell me to SS you because you keep dying but your damage/tanking/healing is just so fucking awesome. L2NotPissOffYourHealer. Corollary: Lag used as a reason for dying will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Regarding portals that need clicking: Please fucking click it. It’s always TWO other people. Unless it’s a Doomguard, then it’s FOUR. I click yours, you click mine, mkay? Don’t move until the Warlock TV comes out of the floor or the Soulwell falls from the sky. Moving cancels the casting and it’s just annoying to have to cast it again because you can’t be bothered to sit still for five seconds. As a rule, I’ve found that placing the healthstone portal in the face of a tank and/or rogue results in a faster click+click+summon. Also, I will find a crowd of toons to sit the summoning portal on. Granted, the LFG teleporter makes most of the summoning stories obsolete now. But if you would like to piss off your warlock, feel free to
- Invite me to a dungeon party, then ask me to summon you to an instance when you are originating from the same spot as me or closer.
- Be in Dalaran, ask me to summon you to an instance, and when I agree, you port to Ironforge and say your hearthstone is down (whether it is or not, that’s just rude).
- Leave the raid without telling anyone or asking for a summon back and then expecting me to do it anyway.
- Not be in my dungeon party/raid but ask me to grab two buddies and summon you & your friends to [place]. Not even tipping me will make me a mage. You get automatically ignored if you ask me to summon you to a place which is closer to you than it is to me. Yeah, I /who random people whispering me.
- Repeatedly ask for a HS but don’t click the portal.
- Repeatedly ask for a HS but keep canceling the trade window by moving.
- Refuse to click my portal after I clicked your mage table one.
- Ask for a summon and then go AFK for 2min as we try to summon you.
- Go outside to the instance portal and summon people whom I’ve already summoned inside the dungeon/raid.
- Be silent when the call for summons goes out, but everybody then decides to ask for their personal summon in intervals of 2min 1s. FFS PEOPLE.
- You fall off Gluth’s pipe but whine that I’ve put the stone on the pipe and not on Grobbulus’s platform. L2Walk or shut up and take the summon.
I feel especially lazy to cobble together images for my Minions & Spells post. So I’m posting about this instead. Stuff I got perusing MMO-Champion:
As Ghostcrawler mentioned in the “Balance Adjustments” thread for 3.3, we would like to buff warlock PvE damage for all three talent trees. We have a few changes in mind we can share with you and welcome your feedback. That being said, of course these changes are not yet implemented and are subject to revision or reversal before the next minor patch.
Affliction: While some warlocks will no doubt disagree, we think the damage output of Affliction in PvP is pretty good. Therefore, we want a buff that will increase sustained damage after a ramp-up period. The specific change we have in mind is to allow Shadow Embrace to stack up to 3 times for a total of a 15% damage bonus. The current healing debuff would change to 10% per stack.
Demonology: We want to double the damage bonus of Demonic Pact granted the warlock. To avoid making this an all-around buff to raid damage, however, the damage bonus provided to other players would remain unchanged.
Destruction: We want to double the damage bonus provided by Empowered Imp.
As a further buff to both Demonology and Affliction, we’re testing out the effects of doubling the damage bonus of Improved Shadow Bolt in the Destruction tree.
Again, these are preliminary ideas. These changes might be revised or reverted before going live. Just the same, these are not necessarily the only changes we are willing to make and your feedback is appreciated. (Source)
Woohoo! Actually, I’m pretty satisfied where my damage is at. I know I’m not giving it my all nor am I in the top raid tier, but I like it where I am.
The sustained damage increase sounds exciting, but I’m wary. Couple this with less gimmick fights where DoTs can be ticking away and yet the tank’s threat is stalled because we’re dancing, then I’ll be happy. I remember our tank cheering if he could get the taunt off before Heigan one-shotted me as we ran back to the platform. >.< It’s not fun to make my dps take a backseat because two DoTs out of four overthreats the tank.
Zarhym later states that this would probably be coming in a minor patch, i.e., 3.3.something or 3.3.something-a, and it might be tweaked by spell coefficients or whatever. Which I’m interested in, because if the spell coeffs get tweaked, maybe EJ might actually update the spell coeff page. (Doubt it.) An invisible number mechanic like a spell coefficient is probably easier to change on the dev side than a talent (noooooes! not the tooltips! ANYTHING but tooltips!).
Farther down the thread, Destro locks should be happy to note that Conflagrate might get buffed, not just Empowered Imp. Even I, the destro noob, was like “Imp…I mean, yeah they use the imp, but really? Just the imp?”
On another note, I noticed Lissana talking on Twitter about how moving fights really mess up the moonkin DPS rhythm. Luckily, as an affliction lock, my DPS isn’t too dependent on standing still. Yes, only Corruption and the curses are instant-cast–everything else has a casttime or is channeled. But the only casttime worth major attention is Shadow Bolt. Haunt & Unstable Affliction both have short base casttimes anyway. But yeah, I get rather…uh…ticked…when Drain Soul gets interrupted because I need to move. So I end up doing a little “moonfare spam” of my own when that happens.
So taking her post and the comments that ensue, what would “shot-on-the-run” changes mean for warlocks? I mean, Lissana used moonkin as her specific example (and casters as the general), since she knows moonkin best. Personally, I think I can only talk for affliction warlocks (if my opinion is even valid); I have no experience with either Demo or Destro in a raid situation. I’ve solo’d some BC group quests and normal dungeons as a SL/SL lock, but that’s about all my experience in the demo tree. I’ve yet to touch destro beyond the mandatory 15 points I spend for a full Ruin. So I’m going to talk from purely affliction. All locks in the crowd are welcome to comment, of course.
“Shot on the Run” spell? Well, we already have that. DoTs. Plenty of them. Though, I do still miss having 6. (Immolate! I still love you! But only when I get the shadow spells locked out. <.< >.>) Typically we take that one more half-second to finish the DoT cast and then we run like hell. Once the DoT is up on the target, we really don’t care until we have to reapply them. The only time I really hate moving is the Drain Soul execute phase, but like I said above, you also just spam DS as you move.
Pushback while running: I really like Hiddencamper’s comment. Honestly, I read it and thought, “Now, there’s an idea.” Not to mention you’d maybe see more life in the Fel Concentration talent (reduces pushback to Haunt, UA, and the drain spells). Pushback with an arbitrary limit makes a lot of sense–you make the casttime longer, but you can still cast.
“Swiftfire”: Swiftbough adds maybe moonkin could get a Swiftmend for damage: the spell deals the full damage from the total DoT and consumes the DoT. For affliction…nah, we like our DoTs unconsumed. Though the Cataclysm shard rehaul sounds like it’s adding something similar, except instead of consuming the DoT buff, it consumes a shard.
Droodboy suggests upping the hit cap while moving. I’m not terribly in favor of this. For locks, it’s hard enough to find gear with both spirit and hit on it (gawsh, healy priests, GG). Fel Armor works off the spirit stat. So does the Life Tap glyph buff, I might add. Fel Armor (30%) + Life Tap (20%) equates to 50% of your spirit gets added to your spellpower. Not a total amazing jump, but that’s still +250 at the least, for me. So less spirit for locks (because of more hit needed) means a less +spellpower to damage, which means unhappy locks. It’s either a loss of spirit on our gear, or the loss of spellpower through gemming for hit.
- Let’s see, math for gemming for hit over spellpower. 1% is 33 hit rating, rounded up. JC’s can just barely cap this with one gem (Rigid Dragon’s Eye = +34 hit); the rest of us will have to do with two Rigid King’s Amber, a total of 40 +hit rating. Two Runed Cardinal Rubies give you +46 spellpower. Would you trade 46 spellpower for 1% of hit that is needed only when you move while casting?
Even for a measly +46 spellpower, I don’t move that much, honestly. Maybe it’s a different situation for moonkin, but I don’t terribly like this idea.
Readers? Thoughts on any of the above?